The Miami Dolphins activated defensive end and former first-round pick Dion Jordan to the active roster, the team announced Saturday.
Jordan, who completed his six-game suspension last week, is expected to make his regular season debut Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Jordan served dual suspensions for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing and substance-abuse policies. Jordan told the Miami media earlier this week that he plans to make up for lost time.
“It’s definitely a lesson learned,” Jordan said. “I’m human just like everybody else here. I made a mistake.”
Jordan is off to a disappointing start to his NFL career.
The Dolphins traded up to the No. 3 overall pick to draft Jordan in 2013. Since then, injuries and suspensions have hampered Jordan’s first two seasons. Jordan recorded just 26 tackles and two sacks as a rookie last year, and Sunday in Jacksonville will mark his first opportunity to play this season.
Miami has a lot of depth at defensive end and it will take time for Jordan to find a significant role. He practiced this week on special teams and with the defensive line, where he will remain a backup coming off the bench.
“My abilities haven’t changed,” Jordan said. “So I’m going to go out there and continue to give it my best. Actually, I’m going to help these guys out and make it a lot easier for these guys so [Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon] don’t have to take as many reps as they’ve been taking the last few weeks.”
To make room for Jordan on the 53-man roster, Miami released wide receiver Damian Williams.